Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Duchess

Photobucket

If you know me, there's not a period movie I've seen that I didn't like.

Until now.

Mid-movie I shut this off.

Why?
Hard to explain.

As adorable as I think Keira Knightley is- {loved her in Atonement & Silk!!} she's just not the Georgiana I've envisioned and read about.

Georgiana having been a beautiful and intelligent woman, writer and political campaigner with a somewhat large penchant for gambling, but beloved by so many... you just don't get this in the movie.

Unfortunately IRL, she was married to a jerk of a Duke man who had a love affair with her backstabbing little witch she thought a friend and confidante best friend.

I think she was much more than the menage-a-trois...


Photobucket

Sonnet Inscribed To Her Grace The Dutchess Of Devonshire

by Mary Darby Robinson


'TIS NOT thy flowing hair of orient gold,
Nor those bright eyes, like sapphire gems that glow;
Nor cheek of blushing rose, nor breast of snow,
The varying passions of the heart could hold:

Those locks, too soon, shall own a silv'ry ray,
Those radiant orbs their magic fires forego;
Insatiate TIME shall steal those tints away,
Warp thy fine form, and bend thy beauties low:

But the rare wonders of thy polish'd MIND
Shall mock the empty menace of decay;
The GEM, that in thy SPOTLESS BREAST enshrin'd,
Glows with the light of intellectual ray;
Shall, like the Brilliant, scorn each borrow'd aid,
And deck'd with native lustre NEVER FADE!


If you were going to rent this- I'd say, dont waste your time. Rent Pride and Prejudice instead. =)

Happy Saturday!
-Jen

4 comments:

  1. That's a bummer about your movie but good for you turning it off. I would have probably watched the whole thing then be mad at myself for wasting the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so suprised. I haven't seen it, but i know you love this kind of stuff, and I love Kiera Knightly.

    That stinks:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Oh no... I haven't seen Duchess yet and something tells me I shouldn't bother. I came across your review and think I should heed your advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, thanks for the commentary... haven't seen this one yet, but was on my list. Maybe I'll wait now. Thanks.
    I hate wasting time on bad movies

    :)

    ReplyDelete